Support your community and play ball!
Join us on Saturday, May 18th, 2019 at Melissa’s Zadow Park for the 9th Annual Give Them Wings Co-Ed Softball Tournament! Whether you’re cheering from the stands or catching that fly ball for the big win, there’s fun to be had for the whole family: full concessions, a kids area, and a few fun extras will be available.
If you and 9 of your friends are interested in signing up for the tournament, check out the details below and fill out the required documents for your team. Please note, the sooner you sign up, the better: Early birds get a special reduced sign-up fee of $200, with all proceeds used to support your Melissa Cardinals!
Have a local business that you would like to get involved or help sponsor the tournament? Contact MEF’s executive director, Kellie Maynard at email@example.com for more details.
- Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 – Last day for the early bird registration for all competing teams. Sign up by this date for the cost of $200, all entries after May 1st will be the full $250 fee!
- Saturday, May 18th, 2019 – The 9th Annual MEF Give Them Wings Co-Ed Softball Tournament will be at Zadow Park. Play Ball!
Competition Details & Rules
- This event is a fundraiser for the students and teachers of Melissa ISD. It is not intended to server as a sanctioned competitive tournament. Please keep this in mind.
- In the event of inclement weather, the tournament may be shortened to single elimination. We will try to make that determination as early as possible, but it may be determined on the morning of the tournament. We will do everything we can to get the tournament in on Saturday.
- Teams must have a minimum of 5 men and 5 women. No upper limit on roster size.
- Players must be at least 14 years of age. Any player 18 or under must have parent or guardian signature on the waiver.
- Each player on the roster must sign the waiver before competing.
- Games will be 6 innings or 30 minutes, whichever occurs first. Flip for Home/Visitor.
- Each team will play a minimum of two games.
- Teams may score no more than 5 runs per half inning. If the home team is behind by more than 5 runs entering the bottom of the last inning; the game will be considered final.
- Mercy rule – the game will be called if any team is ahead by 15 runs after any completed inning.
- Each batter comes to the plate with a 3-2 count. Consecutive fouls balls by a single batter will result in an out.
- No more than 5 home runs per team/game. All homeruns after 5 in a game will count as an out. The exception shall be those games on Sydney field; where homeruns will be unlimited. Exception: Any team which contributes an additional $100 to MEF will have unlimited home runs irrespective of which field is played on; for the remainder of the tournament. The hitting team will be responsible for retrieving homeruns/foul balls.
- You may bat the entire roster, provided men and women alternate in a consistent order (in the event there are not the same number of men and women on the roster).
- If a man is walked via ball four, the woman immediately following him in the batting order will also be considered to have received a walk; or she may hit at her election.
- The team must have at least 5 women on defense at all times. Teams can play with no less than 8 – 4 men/women. There must be at least three women in the infield (including P/C) and two women in the outfield; or in the event of only 8 or 9 players; at least two in the infield (including P/C) and two in the outfield.
- Ties will be played out. Each team will start the extra inning with the last out from the prior inning at 2nd base.
- Balls will be provided.
- There will be one umpire for each game.
- Water and sports drinks will be available for purchase.
Required Documents for Team Sign-Up
Team Registration Form: DOCX Format
Waiver/Release Form (Must be signed by all players): PDF Format